Accessibility at Space Place
Space Place shares stories of New Zealand skies. We are committed to making our interactive experiences and full-dome planetarium as accessible as possible. We offer the following services and amenities:
- Clear signage and level access to the main entrance.
- The Space Place entrance video welcomes visitors in NZSL.
- A wheelchair is available for use from the front desk.
- Level access and floor space for wheelchair users to be seated in the planetarium.
- An accessible route within the site with a minimum width of 1200mm.
- Wheelchair accessible toilets with baby changing stations.
- All support animals with service jackets, collars or ID are welcome at Space Place.
- A grassed area outside the entrance for support animals.
- Guided tours are available upon request in English and Mandarin. Check with us about visitor guide availability.
- Interactive displays have spoken word, sound and music.
Travelling by cable car
- Wellington Cable Car departs from Cable Car Lane 280 Lambton Quay. The cable car can be accessed by wheelchairs and with guide-dogs. For more on cable car fares and accessibility, visit the Wellington Cable Car website.
- Ride the cable car to the Kelburn Terminal (the last stop), right outside is the Cable Car Museum. Space Place signage leads to our entrance. The short, pavement path through the gardens has some upward slopes.
Travelling by bus
- The nearest public bus stop is on Upland Road opposite Glasgow Street. Find bus route information here.
Travelling by car/Mobility parking
- Wilsons Skyline car park
- 1 Upland Road, Kelburn. The carpark provides paid carparking for all with limited spaces for drivers with mobility parking permits.
- Space Place entrance
- There are four dedicated mobility car parks are very close to the main entrance. Contact us to make sure there is one available for your arrival.
- You will also need directions from staff on how to drive to this carpark, access is from Salamanca Road.
- There is no shelter over the accessible car parking.
Space Place Map
Download a copy of our accessibility-friendly Space Place Map or pick up a copy from the front desk. This shows the location of our galleries, stairs and accessible toilets.
Safe Spaces Statement
Space Place strives to provide a safe space for all, regardless of gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, physical ability, appearance, neurodiversity, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, nationality, race, age, or religion.
Harassment and harmful behaviours towards anyone at our sites including our staff, other visitors, artists, or contractors will not be tolerated. Perpetrators of such behaviour will be asked to leave immediately.
Harassment and harmful behaviour include but is not limited to:
- Racist, sexist, classist, transphobic, homophobic, ableist, religiously bigoted comments.
- Intimidating and bullying behaviour.
- Failure to respect other’s boundaries.
- Inappropriate sexualised behaviour or advances.
Our goal is that all people feel supported and welcomed in our spaces, and we take your safety and wellbeing seriously. If you have any concerns, and/or experience any inappropriate behaviour while you are here, please notify a member of our staff, or email us on email@example.com
If you require additional information or support, please contact us.