Accessibility at the Cable Car Museum
Located in the original winding house, the Cable Car Museum is committed to making the history of Wellington’s iconic transport system as accessible as possible. We offer the following services and amenities:
- Clear signage and level access to the main entrance.
- An accessible route within the site with a minimum width of 1200mm.
- The two floors of the museum can be accessed by a wheelchair accessible elevator or an easy to navigate, slip resistant stairwell.
- Lift entrance is 850mm width and the interior is 1300mm x 1300mm.
- All support animals with service jackets, collars or ID are welcome at Cable Car Museum.
- A grassed area outside the entrance for support animals.
- Wheelchair accessible toilets are in the Skyline facility adjacent to the Cable Car Museum.
- The giftshop is on the entry level. The aisles have a minimum width of 1200mm to allow for pushchairs and mobility equipment.
- Guided tours are available upon request in English and Mandarin. Check with us about visitor guide availability.
Note: Mobility equipment is not available from Cable Car Museum. If mobility equipment is required, let us know before your visit and we can transfer equipment from Space Place.
Travelling by cable car
- Wellington Cable Car departs from Cable Car Lane, 280 Lambton Quay. The cable car can be accessed by wheelchairs and with guide-dogs. For more on cable car fares and accessibility, visit the Wellington Cable Car website.
- Ride the cable car to last stop at the Kelburn Terminal. Cable Car Museum is situated adjacent to the terminal.
Travelling by bus
- The nearest public bus stop is on Upland Road opposite Glasgow Street. Find bus route information here.
Travelling by car/Mobility parking
- Wilsons Skyline car park at 1 Upland Road, Kelburn is the closest public carpark. The carpark provides paid carparking for all with limited spaces for drivers with mobility parking permits.
- Wheel chair users need to use the carpark ramp entrance to exit the carpark area.
- The museum is within a short distance of an unsheltered drop off/pick up zone.
- There are no dedicated mobility parking spaces for the museum.
Cable Car Museum Map
Download a copy of our accessibility-friendly Cable Car Museum Map. This shows the location of our lift, stairs and exhibitions.
If you require additional information or support, please contact us.