Aotearoa: The New Zealand Story by Gavin Bishop starts over a thousand years ago. The wind, sea currents and stars brought people to the islands that became known as Aotearoa, the land of the long white cloud.
Navigate your way through this beautifully illustrated story of New Zealand. Explore the defining moments of our history from the Big Bang right through to what might happen tomorrow.
Discover Maori legends, layers of meaning and lesser-known facts. All captured by celebrated children’s book author Gavin Bishop.
- Written by Gavin Bishop
- Margaret Mahy Book of the Year, New Zealand Book Awards for Children and Young Adults 2018
- Elsie Locke Award for Non-fiction, New Zealand Book Awards for Children and Young Adults 2018
- Storylines Notable Non-Fiction Award 2018
- Best Children’s Book, PANZ Book Design Awards 2018
- NZ Listener 50 Best Books for Kids 2017
- The Sapling Best Books List 2017
- 64 pages
- Hardback book
- Measures approximately 27.8cm x 37.6cm x 1.4cm
- First published in October 2017
A truly special book, Aotearoa: The New Zealand Story deserves a space on every bookshelf, to be taken off and pored over, thumbed and treasured, time and again.
Gavin Bishop is a highly acclaimed children’s book author and illustrator of more than 60 books, whose work ranges from original stories to retellings of Maori myths, European fairy stories, and nursery rhymes.
This product is also available for purchase in store at Wellington Museum.